Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Empire Falls"

Well, you might guess this is nothing to do with my art blog. You're right, mostly. But....I'll get to that point later.

I just finished reading this book that was published back in 2001, and which I probably got at an airport while waiting for my plane back in 2004 or 2005. I can explain all characters and the plot here but that's not what I'm intending. Instead, I provide you a link to a good review of this book:
http://www.mostlyfiction.com/contemp/russo.htm
that explains all of these, which saves my time here a lot.

Why I'm introducing this book here is because two characters in the book are artistic. One of them is actually an artist and a young professor at a college, whose art is more spiritual based on his religious background. The other is an highschool girl whose father runs Empire Grill in Empire Falls. This girl seems to have strated showing some talent and have potential to become an artist in the future. The story suggests that might not be the case though. You need to read it why. She struggles between realism (how to satisfy her art teacher) and what she wants to express with her school projects.

Well, that's all I can offer here. I suggest you at least check the review for the rest.

No comments: