To make this painting more interesting I started bringing up values on the horse lighter with more contrast with darker areas. Now it started showing "completeness" feeling, means getting closer to the finish line.
This would be the final update of this painting.
After refining the other horse shapes, I filled the background slope with more colors. It looks flat now. I have to come up with something although the area is unfocused. Also I need to put more light on the main subjects.
Believe it or not I had been struggling with the shadow shape. Since it's not real horse shapes that human can observe from any angle it kept eluding from my grasp. It affected the disfigure of legs connected to it. But I think I finally got it.
Also refined the legs to be anatomically correct. I'll next to refine the dark horse behind next.
While adjusting leg shapes of the horse, I felt the entire painting was too dark to define the edges. So started trying lighter, or maybe the lightest, values on the foreground. The background hill side was a little too light. I need to push it down a little bit in addition that the color needs to be more red purplish.
Shapes are getting in place gradually. Now I need to put more contrast between shadow and light while majority of areas are much lighter because strong midday sun was hitting the ground. It shouldn't be this colourful because of that.
As expected, the shapes of table rockes are not too easy to define. Still trial and error stage. Meanwhile I also putting some colors in surrounding environment like sky and foreground. Still values and colors are far off, but I needed to put something in to define the whole context.