Friday, December 25, 2009

Update: three days in a raw

This would be the last update of this piece. Try finishing up foreground by putting different tones on the sagebrush then sharpening the edges to make it closer to viewers. Being careful with brush strokes as well. I might need to use some medium to make paint flow more smoothly. I would finish this over this holiday weekend.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Getting better with greens

Continuing from yesterday, I started adjusting greens to be better. It's coming along. I started getting a feeling that touching this section more would just ruin the entire painting. This means it's getting near the end of painting.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Came back to the background

I made the plateau a little lighter, then made the midground mound darker to show some depth. It was successful until I made the sky very light. It might end up ok after it dries up. I need to wait a couple of days. Meanwhile I need to make those greens better, more interesting. That would be the next step.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Covered Most of Canvas

I covered foreground with sagebrush and dried grass colors. The contrast with the other part was not as bad as I imagined. The background plateau still looks too close though. The foreground would become more clear when I refine the colors of sagebrush and the edges. But I re-realized the color transition of dried grass would define this painting, which I might have hard time finding.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lost sense of depth

Like I said, everything in colors is relative. When I covered most of background with local colors, the mid-section is now not dark enough. As the result, I can't see difference of the distances between the background and the midsection.
Instead of fixing this, I move on to the foreground next. Again, since these colors are relative, they would look different once I put colors on the foreground.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Finding values for background

After putting some sagebrush colors, I went to the background plateau and have been trying finding proper values. This part is always challenging for me for any landscape pieces. It's definitely relative to the values of foreground. But it seems to be still darker than I want it to be.