Friday, December 31, 2010

Last update in 2010

I just finished reading this "Landscape Painting" by Mitchell Albala. Then I checked back my blog to find when I started reading. It was back in Feb. It took me 10 months. But it was really good. Half of the stuff in the book was something I'm already familiar with, which I've learned/heard from multiple instructors of workshops/classes I attended before, or read in some articles in magazines. But even the stuff I already know has assured me that that's good stuff I should keep in my mind all the time.

At the end, he wrote about discipline to keep ourselves motivated and inspired. Here is the direct quote from the book, which I completely agree:
"In my experience, there is no foolproof method for continued artistic growth---except to consistently put yourself in front of projects that interest you and to keep painting. Most artists will testify to the fact that whatever skill and success they have achieved, they achieved largely through tenacity, consistency, and hard work. Momentum is powerful. The longer I don't paint, the more inertia I must overcome to pick up my brushes and get restarted. When I paint more frequently, I gain momentum and am more inspired to continue."

I think I just need to keep painting to get to the next level and beyond.

No comments: