Monday, April 14, 2008

East meets West...when will thin paint meet thick one?


After the mediocre outcome of Animal Trail, I've moved on to this Valley Creek. I'm actually not disappointed with the outcome. Because it was my first piece that I tackled with snow. I knew I couldn't expect too much out of it. I failed with the snow covered trees by picking up a too small brush. I'll put it at my web site after next sunny day.

With this piece, I'm thinking I would try more thicker layers of paint. Since no bigger trees are in the foreground or middle ground, I don't have to worry much about shapes of trees with snow or their shadows but colors of bigger shapes. At this stage, I'm still putting thinner layers as you can vaguely see in this photo. Eventually I need to shift the gear and start mixing much more paint. But I don't know when to do it yet. I'm afraid I would know it when it's too late...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Toshi,

I like the looks of this piece although of course I can't comment on the thickness of the paint. I like how it's warm toned, yet the expanse of brown appears to have some purply hues in it which, at least digitally, give a rich feel. The Skagit Valley trip looked nice!

ToshiE said...

Although it's still at too early stage to decide which direction to go, I've been thinking I would make it much cooler, just like I did with "Animal Trail" that you would see soon at my web. That's why I made the underpaint warmer. I need to wait until I make much more progress. I might change my mind.

After going through some of my own shows, I came to understand people want to see some common things or theme through the pieces at a show. "Cattle Gaze" series was success from that aspect and almost sold. I want to keep these two pieces from Stanley/ID vacation in the same theme "pureness and sensitiveness of quiet snow scene".... Or, not. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep checking in to see the outcome:)