Saturday, March 1, 2008

Challenge of White


I tore down the show at Chez Dominique yesterday. It was the outcome of my entire last year and more. Naturally, I felt my artistic repository inside of me had been emptied and I needed some recharge period. Even though I started working on this piece about a month ago, I've been taking long time to make progress as the result.

After the darkest darks were placed on the canvas, I started examining, or just playing with, various types of whites. I'm sure this piece would get layers of whites until I call it finish. The first white I'm working on now is warm white in the foreground snow. It may be hard to be seen in this dark photo though. The other snow just has very light blue on canvas as underpainting. Those white mountains are gesso white right now.

No comments: