Sunday, March 30, 2014

Joe Mac Kechnie Workshop

Yes, I attended a workshop two weeks in a row. But this one was only one day. The title was "realistic landscapes from abstract beginnings".
But it was basically the same approach most landscape artists do; blocking bigger approximate shapes with thinner paint before building up thicker paint. One thing different was there was an option to paint completely random abstract underpainting w/ acrylic before selecting and putting a landscape, or portrait or whatever, on top. In my case oil over acrylic (the right photo above). It might work well for me.

But the true discovery, or I knew but haven't tried, was gessoed on paper surface would work better for quick thicker application like we need to do en plein air. I prepared the surfaces that way for this workshop. I'll get some canvas-paper pads to try more for outdoor paintings.

No comments: