Saturday, February 1, 2014

Marker Painting Workshop - Darrell Anderson

It's been more than a month since I updated the blog last time(last year!). Due to a trip to Japan, my January was very short and busy including CVG show delivery and preparation for PLG show this month.
Anyhow, I attended Darrell Anderson's [http://darrellanderson.blogspot.com/] one day marker painting workshop at Winslow Art Center on Bainbridge Island.

The key I understood was after making contour drawing (not filling any values) with a fine-point pen, filling values starting with #3(30%) dark marker and step up to #6, #8, just like watercolor painting's process. It took me a couple of trials to understand the process, which I'm not used to as an oil painter, but I started understanding how to accomplish value drawing (or painting, to me) with markers.

The while pen (Japanese Mitsubishi Uni-ball Signo) in the photo is supposed to be used for drawing on toned papers, but I tested with the one in the photo, which worked to. If you're interested you can sign on Darrell's blog site above to get any updates.

No comments: