Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bowman Bay


After Tim Deibler's workshop, I'd been thinking switching stretched canvas to canvas on a board for plein air. So I made a wet board carrier for 11x14x1/8 re-using two panels from the old pochard box, which I no longer use. I taped 9x12 gessoed canvas on a board then slot it in one of three slots in the carrier.
Today I went to Bowman Bay, near Deception Pass and next to Rosario Beach, then tested this box. As you can see in the photos, it works perfectly. The green snap-lock band I bought for my motorcycle's side bag, which I barely use, can tie the lid in place to secure the boards. So the cost was only for the poplar board for the sides, which cost me about 5 bucks. I'm very pleased with the outcome. The painting surface of the taped canvas is about 8 1/2 x 11 1/2.
I'll use this again for the next Hurricane Ridge vacation at the end of the month and all plein air in the future. 

No comments: