Sunday, April 24, 2011

Plein Air after a while





 I haven't painted outside quite a while. Now it's time for that. Fortunately Fri-Sat when I planned a Portland trip on my motorcycle the weather was perfect. I stopped by Nisqually Wildlife Refuge in the morning on Friday I painted sky over the delta. At the time I was painting I didn't realized I didn't push values enough. Also the thin clouds were much warmer. I later realized about the value problem when I was painting trees on a hill side at Washington Park in Portland in Sat morning. You can easily see the difference, can't you? For both I probably spent about 2.5 hours. For the tree painting I don't have any complaint with colors I chose. But I couldn't paint steepness of the hill side enough somehow. It's actually much steeper than shown in the painting. I probably made those trees too tall in comparison with relative vertical placement.

Anyhow, I'll keep going outside to paint more this spring and summer.

No comments: