Sunday, September 7, 2008

East of the Mountains


This is the title of David Guterson's second best seller book after "Snow Falling on Cedars". I've been thinking using this title for my painting a while. I think it's time for that. I painted at 4 - 5 miles south from Ellensburg after passing Shashuskin Canyon. After passing the canyon, the view from the hillside was spectacle. I pulled over and set up my easel. Although the colors and values are a little off and kids in a family who had a field trip to learn geology commented "it doesn't look like it". But I don't care what others think and I was actually pleased with the outcome. Originally I thought I wouldn't paint the barbed wire fence, but the stick provided a good guidance to define the positions of shapes in a wide open space. I took it in instead. I'll paint this in bigger format later this year.

No comments: