Sunday, March 23, 2008

Must start darker

I knew I might fall into this pit fall with this lighter value subject, snow. But I did it anyway. I felt I was putting myself in a difficult position in very narrow value range. You can work toward lighter values on top of darker ones while you progress. But not in opposite way. I was comparing subtle differences of whites. But they're not going to stand out because majority of the surface is in similar values.

So, I told myself "Let's start over. It's not going anywhere from here." Then destroyed mainly the mid section and upper section where chains of trees reside by painting over with purplish gray. I'm very happy with the outcome now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

here's a tip. You can use whatever color in the shadows as long as you keep the highlights white--and it will read as white snow. L. T.

ToshiE said...

Hmmm, sounds like a good tip, L.T. I feel I need to make more than just one attempt and explore this. It would be interesting to see what I would come up with.

Thanks!

-T